18 September 1942

The severely-depleted 39th Battalion receives reinforcements in Moresby, many from NSW and Queensland, diluting the proud Victorian unit’s original heritage.

The battalion is ordered to Base Area and fully equipped and armed once again. It is placed under the command of the 7th Division and ordered to patrol areas to the north of Moresby to prevent any enemy infiltration.